Legal Administrative Assistant
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking a legal administrative assistant to join our Atlanta, GA office. SELC uses law and policy expertise to protect the South’s natural resources—its land, air, water, coast and wetlands—and to preserve our rural countryside and community character. Although our regional focus is the Southeast, much of our work is national in scope and impact.
The principal responsibilities of the legal administrative assistant are to provide support to the attorneys in the office and perform and coordinate administrative functions. This support will fall into two main categories. The assistant will have a full range of legal support responsibilities; including court related filings, as well as possible research tasks. In addition, the assistant will support the attorneys generally, assist in report and presentation preparation and help maintain an efficient and well-organized office. This position may also support the work of our communications staff.
Come join SELC and help make a difference in our region.
About the Position:
- Provides legal and administrative support to SELC attorneys, including submitting filings/comment letters, researching court rules, calendaring deadlines, proofreading and editing written materials, and other legal support tasks.
- Maintains digital and physical files including pleadings, transcripts, memos, and correspondence; experience with i-Manage/FileSite a plus.
- Submits FOIA requests and reviews responsive documents in e-discovery software; experience with Logikcull a plus.
- Performs non-legal research related to our work, including tracking data.
- Communicates regularly with partner groups and experts.
- Provides general clerical support for the office, including preparing for meetings, answering phones, greeting visitors, interacting with vendors, ordering office supplies, booking travel, and preparing expense reports and filing.
- Assists fellow legal assistants with daily tasks in a team-oriented environment.
- Responds to public inquiries about SELC.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent mix of education and experience.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; you engage in ongoing personal learning and are eager to contribute to our organizational efforts to be a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm for clerical, support, and substantive tasks.
- Mentally flexible, highly reliable, and punctual.
- Ability to work well both independently and within several different teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work effectively and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Proficiency with PCs and Microsoft Office applications, including editing and working with pdfs in Adobe, formatting and formulas in Excel spreadsheets, advanced word processing skills in Word, and creating professional Power Point presentations.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills.
- Two years of legal experience.
- Environmental interest.
- Communications experience.
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental non-profits nationally, and provides a strong benefits package.
More about SELC:
With nine offices across the region (Charlottesville, VA; Chapel Hill, NC; Atlanta, GA; Charleston, SC; Washington, DC; Birmingham, AL; Nashville, TN; Asheville, NC; and Richmond, VA), SELC is widely recognized as the Southeast’s foremost environmental organization and regional leader. SELC works on a full range of environmental issues to protect the South’s natural resources and the health and well-being of its people.
SELC works in Congress and state legislatures to inform environmental laws; in regulatory agencies to implement environmental laws and policies; and in the courts to enforce the law, stop the worst abuses, and set important precedents. The organization works collaboratively with more than 100 national, state, and local groups to enhance their efficacy and achieve common conservation goals. SELC currently has a staff of 160, with over 80 attorneys, including some of the nation’s leading experts in their respective fields. Additional information is available www.southernenvironment.org.
SELC believes that a broad range of ideas, life experiences, and backgrounds enriches our workplace, drives innovative thinking, and attracts highly talented people who seek a work environment that values the unique contributions of individual team members. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this belief. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflect the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and three references. Interested persons should apply immediately.
SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages applications from persons of all backgrounds.