Assistant to the Director of Finance and Administration
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking an Assistant to the Director of Finance and Administration in the Headquarters office in Charlottesville, VA. The primary responsibility of this role is to provide the Director of Finance and Administration with executive level support, and this role will also provide administrative support to the HR department and the Regional Administrator and Risk Manager. The person in this role should be detail-oriented, organized, and willing to jump in wherever needed.
Assist the Director of Finance and Administration
- Coordinate travel arrangements and itineraries.
- Prepare expense reports.
- Assist with Board subcommittee meetings and preparation as needed.
- Assist with scheduling meetings: coordinate calendars, set up Zoom and conference calls.
- Work in excel spreadsheets and provide budgeting assistance.
- Assist with file management prior to office move in March 2022.
Assist the Regional Administrator and Risk Manager:
- Track and compile information for review.
- Assist in rearranging travel plans if necessary.
- Assist with scheduling meetings: coordinate calendars, set up Zoom and conference call lines.
- Update insurance spreadsheets; compile data for annual insurance updates.
- Manage Westlaw and Pacer accounts and invoices.
Assist the Director of HR
- Provide administrative support for hiring initiatives, including managing our job postings and maintaining our posting list.
- Assist with coordinating and registering for on campus interviews.
- Assist with summer intern recordkeeping. Assist with scheduling meetings: coordinate calendars, set up Zoom and conference call lines.
- Bachelor’s degree or the combined equivalent of education and experience.
- Minimum of three years of experience in an office environment.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work closely and professionally with executive staff members.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Windows 10 and MS Office 2019.
- Extensive experience and proficiency with MS Excel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; a genuine interest in and commitment to helping SELC create and foster a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace.
- Quick learner and inquisitive nature; forethought to ask good questions and be a good listener.
- Initiative; ability to see a need and offer suggestions to fill the need.
- Experience with databases.
- Experience as an executive assistant.
- Experience at a non-profit or mission driven organization.
- Interest in the environment and the mission of SELC.
The starting salary range for this position is $40,000-$48,000 with an excellent benefits package. For more details, please visit our Careers page.
With nine offices across the region (Charlottesville, VA; Chapel Hill, NC; Atlanta, GA; Charleston, SC; Washington, DC; Birmingham, AL; Nashville, TN; Asheville, NC; and Richmond, VA), SELC is widely recognized as the South’s foremost environmental leader. SELC works on a full range of environmental issues to protect the South’s natural resources and the health and well-being of its people. Although its regional focus is the Southeast, much of its work is national in scope and impact.
SELC works in Congress and state legislatures to inform environmental laws; in regulatory agencies to implement environmental laws and policies; and in the courts to enforce the law, stop the worst abuses, and set important precedents. The organization works collaboratively with more than 100 national, state, and local groups to enhance their efficacy and achieve common conservation goals. It currently has a staff of more than 170 individuals, with 80 attorneys, including some of the nation’s leading experts in their respective fields. Additional information is available at www.southernenvironment.org.
SELC believes that a broad range of ideas, life experiences, and backgrounds enriches our workplace, drives innovative thinking, and attracts highly talented people who seek a work environment that values the unique contributions of individual team members. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this belief. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflect the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment. We are looking for people to join us in this effort. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references. Interested persons should apply immediately.