Digital Asset Intern
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking a Digital Asset Intern in our Charlottesville, VA. office. This individual will support both our Digital and Design teams. Duties will in include management, organization, and updates to a variety of digital assets, including the SELC website and our photography database. This is an excellent opportunity to join a highly successful, nationally recognized organization that is effectively addressing some of the most pressing and challenging environmental issues throughout the South and the nation.
The ideal candidate will have a background or keen interest in graphic design, photography, information systems & database management/optimization, SEO, and web accessibility. It’s expected that this individual work in our downtown Charlottesville office most days. Additionally, this intern should be flexible to accommodate a fluctuating work schedule. Working hours could range from 10-30+ hours per week. This position would start in early June 2022 for a 10-week internship commitment, although we can be flexible to accommodate a later start date and a shorter overall commitment as needed (evaluated on a case-by-case basis).
All SELC staff members are required to be vaccinated and boosted prior to begin working in any of our offices. All staff are currently working a hybrid work model of 3 in-office working days and 2 remote working days per week.
Provide support to SELC Digital and Design teams on a variety of projects to include:
- Creating and adding alt tags and alt attributes to images on the SELC website
- Adding keywords and metadata to images on the website – writing photo descriptions for SEO and accessibility purposes
- Create thumbnails for items that will be in specific section(s) of the website
- Remove and update logos in thumbnails of our video content to ensure consistency in our branding – save and upload new versions
- Uploading /converting our video content to a new hosting platform (Vimeo)
- Data cleaning and reconciliation within our photography database (Widen) – removing unnecessary or antiquated data
- Adding metadata/keywords to the photos in our Widen database
- Uploading images and ensuring batches of photos for the same subjects have unique file names, so they can be excluded in searches and enhance how interact with and use our database content
- Strong attention to detail
- Organized, diligent, task-oriented
- Has the ability to take direction, ask questions, and adjust on the fly
- An eye for design
- Flexibility to accommodate a fluctuating schedule – hours could range from 10-30+ hours per week with an estimated average of 15 hours per week
- Background or keen interest in graphic design, photography, information systems & database management/optimization, SEO, and web accessibility
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of over 200, including more than 100 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, DC.
At our core, we are place-based, rooted in our region, and connected with the communities and clients we serve. We believe in an equitable and inclusive workplace that reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of our region and allows diverse perspectives to come to the forefront. We approach our work with the highest level of integrity, holding ourselves to high standards with an emphasis on honesty, accountability, and thoughtfulness. We value collaboration and camaraderie, realizing we are strongest when we work together and knowing that everyone has a critical role to play. We strive for impact through a strategic, bold, pragmatic, and ambitious outlook that is dedicated to achieving powerful results. We believe in these values and in the power of SELC. We hope you consider joining us. Learn more at https://www.southernenvironment.org/.
The compensation for this position is set at $14.00/hour.
To apply, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume.
SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive workplace environment. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this commitment. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.