Energy Policy Analyst
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking a Policy Analyst to join its Clean Energy & Air team in either our Charlottesville, Virginia, or Chapel Hill, North Carolina, office. This is an excellent opportunity to join a highly successful, nationally recognized organization that is uniquely positioned to help the nation meet the global challenge of climate change.
About the position:
The Clean Energy & Air team is SELC’s largest program area. Our driving goal is to bend down the arc of greenhouse gas emissions in the region’s energy sector while ensuring that the new clean energy economy will relieve, not reproduce, the environmental and financial disparities of the old one. We work across a range of venues, including state and federal court, state utilities commissions, environmental regulatory agencies, and legislative bodies.
Our team consists of attorneys and communications professionals. We now seek to add policy analytical expertise to the team to inform our advocacy and broader energy strategy. The chief responsibilities of the position will include:
- Develop and maintain expertise in policy, technical, and economic issues relevant to the effort to equitably expand clean energy and limit carbon emissions.
- Cultivate working relationships with researchers, academics, state and federal professionals, and peer professionals working with partner organizations across the country and particularly in our region.
- Support energy attorneys as they recruit, manage and deploy experts, particularly in state utilities commission proceedings.
- Inform energy program strategy developed by the team.
- Support energy advocacy by providing information and policy context to comments, communications, and legal arguments.
- Work with administrative staff to maintain databases and files of relevant data and policy information.
- Serve as an expert resource for SELC advocacy in meetings, stakeholder processes, presentations, and lobbying.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual who is capable of meshing their policy knowledge and analytical and quantitative skills with an experienced team of attorneys and communications professionals. The ideal candidate will possess experience or graduate-level degree in economics, electrical or power system engineering, public policy, or related disciplines, and:
- Understanding of energy policy and technical issues, including solar and wind energy development, utility system resource planning, energy efficiency programs, utility regulatory policy, or power system modeling.
- Ability to distill technical and policy information into clear written product.
- Ability to independently manage multiple tasks with varying timelines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to build and maintain effective relationships with a diverse set of clients and partners.
- Ability to identify and prioritize strategic objectives.
- Strong independent initiative and an ability to contribute effectively as a member of a team and collaborate across organizations.
- A strong personal commitment to SELC’s mission, including SELC’s deep commitment to being an open, welcoming, diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization.
Salary and Benefits:
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental non-profits nationally, and provides an excellent benefits package. For more details, please visit https://www.southernenvironment.org/about-us/careers/.
With nine offices across the region (Charlottesville, VA; Chapel Hill, NC; Atlanta, GA; Charleston, SC; Washington, DC; Birmingham, AL; Nashville, TN; Asheville, NC; and Richmond, VA), SELC is widely recognized as the South’s foremost environmental leader. SELC works on a full range of environmental issues to protect the South’s natural resources and the health and well-being of its people. Although its regional focus is the Southeast, much of its work is national in scope and impact.
SELC works in Congress and state legislatures to inform environmental laws; in regulatory agencies to implement environmental laws and policies; and in the courts to enforce the law, stop the worst abuses, and set important precedents. The organization works collaboratively with more than 100 national, state, and local groups to enhance their efficacy and achieve common conservation goals. It currently has a staff of more than 170 individuals, with 80 attorneys, including some of the nation’s leading experts in their respective fields. Additional information is available at www.southernenvironment.org.
SELC believes that a broad range of ideas, life experiences, and backgrounds enriches our workplace, drives innovative thinking, and attracts highly talented people who seek a work environment that values the unique contributions of individual team members. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this belief. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflect the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment. We are looking for people to join us in this effort. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and one writing sample.
There is no deadline for applications. We intend to fill this position as soon as possible and will accept and review applications until the position is filled.
SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.