Legislative Assistant / Office Administrator
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking a Legislative Assistant/Office Administrator to join our Washington, DC team. The principal responsibilities of this individual will be to perform and coordinate administrative functions and provide support to the Legislative Affairs team.
About the Position
- Performs administrative duties of Washington, DC office.
- Provides general clerical support for the office, including answering phones, greeting visitors, interacting with vendors, word processing, proofreading and editing written materials, booking travel, preparing expense reports and filing paper and e-documents.
- Provides legislative support including research and other tasks.
- Responds to public inquiries about SELC.
- Schedules, coordinates and supports meetings, proceedings and events.
- Works with the Virginia & Washington, DC Office Manager as well as the Regional Administrator to support the work of the DC office.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to work closely and professionally with a team.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must work efficiently under deadlines.
- Proficiency with PCs and Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Windows 10 and MS Office 2019.
- Detail oriented and with strong organization skills.
- Positive attitude and a demonstrated commitment to environmental issues.
The starting salary range for this position is $42,000 – $52,000 with an excellent benefits package. For more details, please visit our Careers page.
Founded in 1986, SELC has nine offices located in six Southern states—Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia—and Washington, D.C. We are known for high-quality legal and policy work; strategic vision and pragmatic problem solving; and a deep understanding of the places, politics, and culture of the region. We work in all three branches of government at the local, state, and national levels. We advocate before executive branch agencies and legislatures; when necessary, we go to court. Our model of success is built on the strength and commitment of our staff and board, our place-based focus, our deep local presence and strong network of partner organizations, and our effective mix of legal, strategic, and communications expertise. Relationships to people and place are at the heart of who we are. Yet, while we focus on the South, much of our work is national in scope and impact.
With 90 lawyers and a total staff of 170, we believe that a broad range of ideas, life experiences, and backgrounds enriches our workplace, drives innovative thinking, and attracts highly talented people who seek a work environment that values the unique contributions of individual team members. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this belief. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment. We are looking for people to join us in this effort. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. Interested persons should apply immediately.