The Southern Environmental Law Center is accepting applications for a Staff Attorney position in our Nashville, TN office.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of an organization that is successfully addressing some of the most important and challenging energy and environmental issues in the Southeast and the nation. This attorney will advocate and litigate on environmental matters throughout Tennessee. This position is open to practicing attorneys with four or more years of experience, and start date is as soon as possible.
For this position, we seek an attorney with strong litigation skills, strong work ethic, and a sense of initiative. The ideal candidate will be a skilled and multi-faceted lawyer with excellent academic credentials, litigation experience, a background in environmental law, strong communication and interpersonal skills, a demonstrated ability to work well in a collegial setting, and a strong personal commitment to SELC’s mission. A strong academic background, litigation experience, and a commitment to SELC’s mission are required.
- Litigates cases in state and federal courts, including developing and implementing case strategy, conducting legal research, drafting pleadings, motions, briefs and other legal documents, and representing clients in court.
- Participates in administrative proceedings before regulatory agencies, including researching and drafting comments and engaging in public speaking.
- Develops and maintains expertise in law and policy developments in one or more of SELC’s program areas.
- Works collaboratively with state office and regional program teams.
- Represents SELC effectively in meetings with external partner groups and other stakeholders.
- Manages multidisciplinary projects, including developing and implementing work plans involving SELC’s communications and geospatial teams as well as consulting experts. This may include case investigation and development.
- Communicates clearly and simply about litigation and program work with SELC’s communications, development and marketing teams.
SELC offers salaries competitive with leading national environmental non-profits and an excellent benefits package.
With nine offices across the region (Charlottesville, VA; Chapel Hill, NC; Atlanta, GA; Charleston, SC; Washington, DC; Birmingham, AL; Nashville, TN; Asheville, NC; and Richmond, VA), SELC is widely recognized as the South’s foremost environmental leader. SELC works on a full range of environmental issues to protect the South’s natural resources and the health and well-being of its people. Although its regional focus is the Southeast, much of its work is national in scope and impact.
SELC works in Congress and state legislatures to inform environmental laws; in regulatory agencies to implement environmental laws and policies; and in the courts to enforce the law, stop the worst abuses, and set important precedents. The organization works collaboratively with more than 100 national, state, and local groups to enhance their efficacy and achieve common conservation goals. It currently has a staff of more than 170 individuals, with 80 attorneys, including some of the nation’s leading experts in their respective fields. Additional information is available at www.southernenvironment.org.
SELC believes that a broad range of ideas, life experiences, and backgrounds enriches our workplace, drives innovative thinking, and attracts highly talented people who seek a work environment that values the unique contributions of individual team members. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this belief. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflect the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment. We are looking for people to join us in this effort. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, one writing sample, law school transcript or grade report (with date of birth and social security number redacted) and a list of three references. Interested persons should apply immediately.
There is no deadline for applications. We intend to fill this position as soon as possible and will accept and review applications until the position is filled.
SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages applications from persons of all backgrounds