Receptionist / Office Assistant
The Southern Environmental Law Center is hiring for a Receptionist/Office Assistant in our Atlanta office. This individual will be a part of our administrative team and report to the Georgia Office Manager. The receptionist will provide administrative support for the entire Atlanta office, such as processing invoices, helping to maintain calendars, scheduling meetings, and other various tasks to help the office operate efficiently. It will also include tasks such as collaborating with staff across all offices to create regional PowerPoints for internal and external presentations, processing gifts from donors, and responding to public inquiries about SELC. This is an excellent opportunity to join a highly successful, nationally recognized organization that is effectively addressing some of the most pressing and challenging environmental issues throughout the South and the nation.
The ideal candidate will have strong organizational and technical skills with a genuine interest in and commitment to helping SELC create and foster a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace. We’re seeking someone who will be excited to manage the critical details of our work, with thorough attention to detail in tracking budgets, organizing meetings and events, and looking for ways to improve systems to help the office operate more efficiently.
SELC currently has a hybrid work model that offers employees remote work flexibility – this position may work from home up to one day per week. This is a full-time position.
- Provides general clerical support for the office, including answering phones, ordering office supplies, booking travel, and interacting with vendors, building management, and security.
- Responds to public inquiries about SELC.
- Assists in the planning and organizing of office events and meetings.
- Provides as-needed support to Communications and Development team members.
- Creates regional PowerPoints for internal and external presentations (including branding and coordinating with the design team).
- Processes invoices, gifts from donors and submits expense reports.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent mix of education and experience.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; you engage in ongoing personal learning and are eager to contribute to our organizational efforts to be a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm for clerical, support, and substantive tasks.
- Mentally flexible, highly reliable, and punctual.
- Ability to work well both independently and within several different teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work effectively and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Proficiency with PCs and Microsoft Office applications, including editing and working with pdfs in Adobe, formatting and formulas in Excel spreadsheets, advanced word processing skills in Word, and creating professional Power Point presentations.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Legal experience, communications and/or office experience.
- Environmental interest.
The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of over 200, including more than 100 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, DC.
At our core, we are place-based, rooted in our region, and connected with the communities and clients we serve. We believe in an equitable and inclusive workplace that reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of our region and allows diverse perspectives to come to the forefront. We approach our work with the highest level of integrity, holding ourselves to high standards with an emphasis on honesty, accountability, and thoughtfulness. We value collaboration and camaraderie, realizing we are strongest when we work together and knowing that everyone has a critical role to play. We strive for impact through a strategic, bold, pragmatic, and ambitious outlook that is dedicated to achieving powerful results. We believe in these values and in the power of SELC. We hope you consider joining us. Learn more at https://www.southernenvironment.org/.
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental nonprofits nationally and provides an excellent benefits package. The salary for this position is commensurate with experience and begins at $42,960. For more details about our benefits package, please visit our Careers page.
To apply, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive workplace environment. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this commitment. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.