Staff or Senior Attorney – Energy Program
The Southern Environmental Law Center is accepting applications for a Staff Attorney or Senior Attorney located in our Atlanta, Georgia office. This attorney will focus on energy law and policy within Georgia and will be a part of SELC’s Clean Energy & Air program.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of an organization that is successfully addressing some of the most important and challenging energy and environmental issues in the South and the nation. This is a full-time position open to practicing attorneys with four or more years of experience, and the start date is as soon as possible.
SELC currently has a hybrid work model of at least 3 in-office working days and 2 at-home working days per week. We’re requiring all staff to be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination to work in our offices.
About the Position:
The primary goal of SELC’s Clean Energy & Air program is to fight climate change by bending down the arc of greenhouse gas emissions in the South’s electric power sector while ensuring that the new clean energy economy will relieve, not reproduce, the environmental and financial disparities of the old one. We work across a range of venues, including state and federal court, state utilities commissions, environmental regulatory agencies, and legislative bodies. We also collaborate with allied groups with different perspectives in pursuit of shared policy goals and speak in public settings.
This attorney will have the opportunity to work on a variety of complementary matters to transition Georgia away from fossil fuels, including: (1) advocating in state and federal administrative and judicial proceedings, including in matters before the commission that oversees Georgia utilities; (2) engaging in policy development and analysis in various settings at the state and federal level, including state regulatory and legislative matters; and (3) engaging with renewable energy advocates, business leaders, environmental groups and other public interest organizations, policy makers, legislators, and regulators to overcome barriers to emissions reduction efforts and to ensure that the renewable energy transition is just, equitable, and benefits the health and economy of all communities. Specific examples of work could include representing clients before the state public utilities commission in integrated resource planning and rate case proceedings; participating in stakeholder groups to increase reliance on energy efficiency; working with coalitions to promote a just energy transition at the local and state level in Georgia. Exceptional candidates will have experience working before state utilities commissions, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission or other energy regulator.
- Participate in and litigate cases before regulatory agencies, and state and federal courts, including developing and implementing case strategy, conducting legal research, drafting pleadings, motions, briefs, and other legal documents, working with expert witnesses, and representing our clients’ interests.
- In coordination with partners, work to influence and change energy policy at the state and local levels in Georgia.
- Identify new opportunities and implement creative strategies in Georgia to advance clean energy such as solar power, curb greenhouse gas emissions, decarbonize additional sectors of our economy, and to achieve this transition in an equitable manner.
- Develop and maintain expertise in law and policy related to clean energy.
- Cultivate strong relationships with SELC’s clients, partners and external stakeholders.
- Support SELC’s collaborative approach.
We are seeking a talented, multi-faceted lawyer with:
- A strong commitment to addressing the causes of climate change and advancing clean, sustainable energy resources in the South.
- At least four years of advocacy experience, including administrative review processes and litigation.
- Experience working with technical experts for the preparation of reports or testimony.
- Effective written and oral communication skills in both legal and non-legal settings.
- Interpersonal skills and an ability to build productive relationships with a diverse set of clients, partners, and governmental officials and staff.
- Organization and project management skills.
- Ability to identify and prioritize strategic objectives.
- A strong work ethic and ability to take initiative on projects.
- Excellent academic credentials.
- A demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively across teams and offices of a multi-faceted organization.
- A strong personal commitment to SELC’s mission. A genuine interest in and commitment to helping SELC create and foster a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace.
The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of over 200, including more than 100 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, DC.
At our core, we are place-based, rooted in our region, and connected with the communities and clients we serve. We believe in an equitable and inclusive workplace that reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of our region and allows diverse perspectives to come to the forefront. We approach our work with the highest level of integrity, holding ourselves to high standards with an emphasis on honesty, accountability, and thoughtfulness. We value collaboration and camaraderie, realizing we are strongest when we work together and knowing that everyone has a critical role to play. We strive for impact through a strategic, bold, pragmatic, and ambitious outlook that is dedicated to achieving powerful results. We believe in these values and in the power of SELC. We hope you consider joining us. Learn more at https://www.southernenvironment.org/.
SELC offers salaries commensurate with experience and competitive with other leading environmental nonprofits nationally and provides an excellent benefits package. For more details about our benefits package, please visit our Careers page.
To apply, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, law school transcript, and one writing sample. Interested persons should apply immediately. There is no deadline for applications. We intend to fill this position as soon as possible and will accept and review applications until the position is filled.
SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive workplace environment. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this commitment. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.