Staff or Senior Attorney
The Southern Environmental Law Center is accepting applications for a Staff Attorney or Senior Attorney position in our Birmingham, Alabama office. We anticipate that this attorney will focus on energy law and policy within Alabama, but likely will have the opportunity to also work in one or more of SELC’s program areas, such as coast and wetlands, land and community, air, or water quality. This position will report to our Alabama Office Director.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of an organization that is successfully addressing some of the most important and challenging energy and environmental issues in the South and the nation. This position is open to practicing attorneys with three or more years of experience, and the start date is as soon as possible.
SELC currently has a hybrid work model of at least 3 in-office working days and up to 2 at-home working days per week. We require all staff to be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination. This is a full-time position.
About the Position:
The primary goal of SELC’s Clean Energy & Air program is to fight climate change by bending down the arc of greenhouse gas emissions in the South’s electric power sector while ensuring that the new clean energy economy will relieve, not reproduce, the environmental and financial disparities of the old one. We work across a range of venues, including state and federal court, state utilities commissions, environmental regulatory agencies, and legislative bodies. We also collaborate with allied groups with different perspectives in pursuit of shared policy goals and speak in public settings.
This attorney will have the opportunity to work on a variety of complementary matters to transition Alabama away from fossil fuels, including: (1) advocating in state and federal administrative and judicial proceedings, including in matters before the commission that oversees Alabama utilities; (2) engaging in policy development and analysis in various settings at the state and federal level, including state regulatory and legislative matters; and (3) engaging with renewable energy advocates, business leaders, environmental groups and other public interest organizations, policy makers, legislators, and regulators to overcome barriers to emissions reduction efforts and to ensure that the renewable energy transition is just, equitable, and benefits the health and economy of all communities.
SELC’s new Staff or Senior Attorney will:
- Identify new opportunities and implement creative strategies in Alabama to advance clean energy such as solar power, curb climate changing emissions, decarbonize additional sectors of our economy, and to achieve this transition in an equitable manner.
- Develop and maintain expertise in law and policy related to clean energy, as well as in one or more of SELC’s program areas, such as coast and wetlands, land and community, air, or water quality.
- Participate in administrative proceedings before regulatory agencies, including researching and drafting comments and engaging in public speaking.
- Litigate cases as part of litigation teams before regulatory agencies and in state and federal courts, including developing and implementing case strategy, conducting legal research, drafting pleadings, motions, briefs, and other legal documents, and representing clients in court.
- Cultivate strong relationships with SELC’s clients, partners, and external stakeholders.
- Support SELC’s collegial and collaborative approach.
We are seeking a talented, multi-faceted lawyer with:
- A strong commitment to addressing the causes of climate change and advancing clean, sustainable energy resources in the South.
- At least three years of advocacy experience, including administrative review processes and litigation.
- Exceptional candidates will be experienced and enthusiastic litigators with strong work ethic and a sense of initiative.
- Excellent academic credentials.
- Effective written and oral communication skills in both legal and non-legal settings.
- Interpersonal skills and an ability to build productive relationships with a diverse set of clients, partners, and governmental officials and staff.
- Organization and project management skills.
- Experience working with technical experts for the preparation of reports or testimony.
- Ability to identify and prioritize strategic objectives.
- A demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively across teams and offices of a multi-faceted organization.
- A demonstrated commitment to SELC’s mission.
- A genuine interest in and commitment to helping SELC create and foster a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace
The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of over 200, including more than 100 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, DC.
At our core, we are place-based, rooted in our region, and connected with the communities and clients we serve. We believe in an equitable and inclusive workplace that reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of our region and allows diverse perspectives to come to the forefront. We approach our work with the highest level of integrity, holding ourselves to high standards with an emphasis on honesty, accountability, and thoughtfulness. We value collaboration and camaraderie, realizing we are strongest when we work together and knowing that everyone has a critical role to play. We strive for impact through a strategic, bold, pragmatic, and ambitious outlook that is dedicated to achieving powerful results. We believe in these values and in the power of SELC. We hope you consider joining us. Learn more at https://www.southernenvironment.org/.
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental nonprofits nationally and provides an excellent benefits package. For more details about our benefits package, please visit our Careers page.
SELC has partnered with an executive search firm to facilitate this hiring process. Interested applicants should send a resume and a statement of interest to Jessica Martinez, Partner with ThinkingAhead Executive Search: [email protected]
SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive workplace environment. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this commitment. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.