Dominion plan undermines Virginia’s new Clean Economy Act
Charlottesville, VA—Dominion Energy’s recently released Integrated Resource Plan, lays out a plan that remains fossil fuel-intensive and will produce 10 million tons of carbon pollution in 2045, at a time when new Virginia law requires the utility to be at zero emissions.
“It is clear we can expect nothing positive at the federal level in the fight against climate change, which only heightens the critical role states must now play. This is a time for bold action, and we are disappointed that Dominion wants to keep one foot firmly rooted in fossil fuels, while publicly touting its commitment to renewable energy. Dominion is passing up the opportunity to show how a forward-thinking utility could lead in these uncertain times with plans to simultaneously reduce emissions and ratepayer costs,” said Southern Environmental Law Center Senior Attorney Will Cleveland.
Among the failures in Dominion’s Integrated Resource Plan are:
- Failure to correct Dominion’s years-long, chronic underuse of cost saving energy efficiency.
- Failure to meet new Virginia law requiring zero fossil fuel generation by 2045. Instead Dominion’s preferred plan relies on nearly 10,000 MW of fossil fuel generation that will emit tens of millions of tons of CO2 for the next 25 years and more.
- Failure to be transparent about Atlantic Coast Pipeline, omitting any mention of the $8 billion fossil fuel pipeline.
For more than 30 years, the Southern Environmental Law Center has used the power of the law to champion the environment of the Southeast. With more than 80 attorneys and nine offices across the region, SELC is widely recognized as the Southeast’s foremost environmental organization and regional leader. SELC works on a full range of environmental issues to protect our natural resources and the health and well-being of all the people in our region. www.SouthernEnvironment.org
- Carbon cap-and-trade: A simple and proven climate solution for Virginia
- Clean Power Plan: An Opportunity to Accelerate Our Clean Energy Transition
- Risky and Unnecessary Natural Gas Pipelines Threaten Our Region
- Solar Initiative