This is the web site of the Southern Environmental Law Center.
Our postal address is:
201 W. Main St. Suite 14
Charlottesville, VA 22902
We can be reached via e-mail at [email protected] or you can reach us by telephone at (434) 977-4090.
3. Children Under Age 13. We are committed to protecting the privacy of children under the age of thirteen (13) years (each a “Child” and collectively, “Children”). The SELC Websites are not designed for or marketed to Children, and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information (as defined below) from Children. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information from a Child, upon request from a parent or legal guardian, we will delete that information. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at: [email protected]
4.1. “Personal Information” means personally-identifiable information (information relating to an individual that can be used to identify, locate, or contact that individual, alone or when combined with other personal or identifying information), such as: name, physical or mailing address, e-mail address, phone number, or personal characteristics, Payment Information (as defined below), Sensitive Information (as defined below), or any other information about an individual that we collect and maintain in personally identifiable form in combination with other personally-identifiable information.
4.2. “Payment Information” means credit or debit card numbers, card type, card issuer, expiration dates, CVV/CSV/CSC or other security code, bank account numbers, routing numbers, and similar information.
4.3. “Sensitive Information” means government-issued identification numbers (such as Social Security numbers, passport numbers, state identification numbers, and driver’s license numbers), login or authentication credentials (such as passwords) for third party sites and services, and other similar information.
4.4. “Non-Personal Information” means information or content other than Personal Information, including, for example, aggregated, anonymized, or de-identified about visitors to the SELC Websites or our supporters, and other information that does not identify any individual.
5. Types of Information Collected.
5.3. Other Analytics Tools. We may, from time to time, use other third party analytics tools to measure and analyze visitor traffic to the SELC Websites and your interactions with the SELC Websites, which helps us provide content that is relevant to you and optimized for the devices that you use (such as smartphones and tablets).
5.5. Sensitive Information. We do not intentionally collect or store any Sensitive Information. If you are asked to provide us with any Sensitive Information, please exercise caution as this may indicate a scam or other unauthorized attempt by a third party to obtain such information. Please contact us directly before providing or submitting any requested Sensitive Information.
6. Use of Personal Information.
6.1. We will store and use your Personal Information as is reasonably necessary or appropriate in connection with your engagement with us and your support of our mission, including: (a) to contact you, including to respond to your inquiries; (b) to provide information about SELC and our campaigns and events; (c) for authentication and identification purposes; (d) to process your donations and to provide you with notices about your donations; (e) to fulfill any other purpose for which you provide such information to us; (f) in any other way we may describe when you provide the information; (g) to carry out our obligations and enforce our rights; and (h) to protect our networks, data, software, or organizational interests. You understand and agree that we may transfer, process, maintain, and store your Personal Information and other information in any country (or in multiple countries), including countries other than your country of residence.
6.3.1. to any person, entity or organization which you consent for us to disclose your Personal Information to;
6.3.2. to successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by us about our users is among the assets transferred;
6.3.3. to our affiliates and to our business partners and agents who provide hosting services, and website and technical support providers, as is necessary or required in connection with the operation, maintenance, and support of our mission;
6.3.4. to our third-party payment processors if you make any donations;
6.3.5. to comply with any legal requirements, subpoena, discovery requests, or court orders, to defend any legal or administrative proceedings, or as we believe in good faith is necessary to comply with any laws or legal requirements;
6.3.6. as we believe is necessary or appropriate in an emergency situation, including without limitation, to prevent criminal activity, personal injury or property damage;
6.3.7. to law enforcement, financial institutions, or other appropriate authorities in connection with any investigation of suspected criminal or fraudulent activity by any person or entity; and
6.3.8. if we believe it is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of the SELC, our affiliates, our supporters, or third parties.
7. Communicating with You. If you provide us with your e-mail address, phone number, or mailing address, we may periodically contact you by e-mail, phone, or mail with information or requests for support regarding SELC and our activities, including our campaigns and upcoming events. If you do not wish to receive such communications by one or more of those communications methods, you may contact us to update your communication preferences.
8. Opt-In Sharing Features. We will not knowingly disclose your Personal Information to a third party if we know or have reason to believe that the third party will use your Personal Information for direct marketing purposes, unless you choose to opt-in to such sharing.
9. Use of Non-Personal Information. We may use Non-Personal Information (including, for example, aggregated information about our users or information that does not identify any individual) for any purposes whatsoever (including without limitation, advertising, marketing, enhancing, designing, or developing mission, strategies, and research), and we may share Non-Personal Information with others, including our partners, affiliates, and our service providers.
10.1. Cookies and Local Storage. Cookies are small text files placed onto your device when you visit and interact with the SELC Websites. Local storage is a technology that allows a website or application to store information locally on your device. These technologies enable us to provide and enhance your experience using the SELC Websites.
10.2.1. Essential Processes and Security: To enable essential functions of the SELC Websites, such as to facilitate logging you in to the SELC Websites, facilitating payments, protecting your security, and helping us fight spam, abuse, and violations of your agreements with us.
10.2.2. Preferences: To remember information about your browser and your preferences.
10.2.3. Performance, Analytics, and Research: To help us understand and measure how you use the SELC Websites and interact with our materials.
12. Security; Release of Liability. We have implemented measures designed to secure your Personal Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure, including the use of TLS to encrypt information you send through the SELC Websites. The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information transmitted to or through the SELC Websites. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained in the SELC Websites. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU FOREVER RELEASE US FROM ALL LIABILITY ARISING AS RESULT OF THE UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS, USE, OR DISCLOSURE OF ANY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION BY ANY THIRD PARTY.
14. Access to and Change of Personal Information. You may contact us at any time to: (a) update your Personal Information; or (b) request the removal of the Personal Information you provided to us from our databases. However, certain information, including information associated with past financial transactions, may be retained permanently for legal, tax, and business reasons. When your Personal Information is updated or deleted, copies of such information may remain in our backups for a period of time. Additionally, if you request the removal of your Personal Information, any opt-out choices you have exercised will no longer be retained.15. Nevada Residents. Nevada residents who wish to exercise their sale opt-out rights under Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 603A may submit a request to this designated address: [email protected] However, please know that we do not currently sell data triggering that statute’s opt-out requirements.